Monday, February 28, 2011

What's This All About?

When my son was four years old, he would make up words. "Goolicious" and "squirbly" are two such words.

If he thought something he was eating tasted good, he would rock in his seat, smack his lips, and say, "Goooolicious!" Ironically, when I recently googled the word, I discovered it actually IS a word. In 2007, Merriam-Webster added Goolicious to its dictionary as: "an adjective describing something that is both melty and delicious." Leo, however, was less discriminating with his use of the word. Please direct your attention to Exhibit A for a food item he often said was goolicious.
Exhibit A: Goolicious pan-roasted chicken
Squirbly, on the other hand, IS my son's own creation. He used it to describe Davy Jones's hair in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Please see Exhibit B. Notice his squiggly, wiggly, writhing...dare I say squirbly? hair.
Exhibit B: Example of squirbly hair
I'm hoping that my son's wonderful play with language, his imaginative ability to create what he needed to express himself, will serve as inspiration for my own writing as I try to express  myself in Goolicious Squirbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment