Thursday, July 28, 2011

Spider Love

I heard the most romantic E.B. White poem this morning. Of course it involves spiders! Apparently he wrote it for his wife when they were newly married. Author Michael Sims was on Radio Times this morning discussing his new book, "The Story of Charlotte's Web: E.B. White's Eccentric Life in Nature and the Birth of an American Classic." Sims read the poem on the show, and it moved me profoundly as I was driving to work. I just love that last verse.

Natural History
E.B. White

The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising,
A thin premeditated rig
To use in rising.

And all that journey down through space,
In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place
From where she started.

Thus I, gone forth as spiders do
In spider's web a truth discerning,
Attach one silken thread to you
For my returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment